Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Days 12 and 13: Happy Birthday Ben!

Let me start by saying how sorry I am not to have posted these past few days. My computer access was interrupted and then we became very busy CELEBRATING BENJAMIN'S 9th BIRTHDAY!

As you can see by the photographs, this birthday was all about the FOOD! No African chakulas for this birthday boy! We started the day with donuts AND chocolate chip banana bread. Lunch consisted of cheeseburgers and BBQ chips. For dinner it was pizza and chocolate cake. Did I mention the soda and Cheetos?


And did I mention this lump in my gut?


Dave and I have both found it interesting that we were, personally, doing just fine eating a limited menu of African related foods - until we started eating all that junk on Ben's birthday. Remnants (aka leftovers) were around today and I found myself reaching for the Cheetos and Chips more than once...yuck. I don't even enjoy those items in my regular life yet today, with the thought of the beans and rice that awaited me for dinner, I couldn't get enough!


We have also observed that all that junk food did not sustain us or the kids as well as healthier foods do. That whole "spiking/dipping" blood-sugar thing really is true! Yet even though intellectually I can recognize this, I still find myself grumpy turning away from the junk. I actually pouted as I served up my beans for dinner.


Wish I could spin this in some brilliant way and quote you a scripture to illuminate the flawed condition of man, but I just can't right now. I'm missing my Cheetos.


Pray for us!


- Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment