Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Monday, March 22, 2010

Breaking Blog Silence

Okay, I know it has been several days since I last posted but to be perfectly honest, there was a lot of grumpiness going on around here. Kaleb is in countdown mode to the day he can eat cereal for breakfast again, we ate the same over-sized pot of beans for almost 5 days (boring) and my own perseverance is waining as I have started dreaming of pizza! My patience is also getting thin with the question of "What's for breakfast (lunch or dinner) Mom?" Do they expect me to give a different answer? "Ugali, eggs or beans kids. Which will it be?" All in all, nothing too fun to report.

Last night, however, was a fun night. Our church hosted Big Daddy Weave as a fundraiser for the African church plant. Proceeds from ticket sales went directly to the cost of the physical building in Bondo. Alongside the concert, we sold BBQ dinners and hosted a "Mzungu Market" to raise money for the team member expenses. Getting to Africa, as I've said before, is a mixture of resourcefulness and trusting God. Although last night was hard work, it was fun work and I absolutely loved that our main worship center was rockin'!

I haven't heard the final numbers yet, but I do know that tickets were sold out which I think means somewhere around $6,000 was raised for the church in Bondo. I have no idea yet what BBQ/Market sales were like, but we actually sold out of brisket too and the Market packed up much lighter than when we started.

Other fundraising news: my baskets haven't sold very well. Everyone finds them interesting and I have a lot of curious people checking out the construction, but no buyers. Oh well, you never know until you try. Not that those baskets were going to go far in my fundraising account, but every bit helps.

I have to report also that we haven't saved as much grocery money eating beans this month as I had expected. It might have something to do with the fact that I actually lost $100 cash from my grocery money early in the month (total bummer). Maybe this is revealing that our grocery budget is too small to begin with? Not sure yet, we still have 9 days to go.

There were several people at the concert last night telling me how much they are enjoying this blog and asking how our "bean thing" was going. Weird that so many people are reading who I had no idea were following this craziness. Guess that's blog life for you. Hey, if you're one of those people and you know some other people who might find our little experiment funny (or torturous) forward it to them. We've always wanted to cast this net far so feel free spread the word.

Thank you to all who have offered to financially sponsor our beans and rice month. If anyone else is interested in helping out in this way, please see the sidebar for more information.

I had a great time last night visiting with the folks from World Vision, KLOV Radio and Big Daddy, telling them all about our mission for this summer. As a team, we are trusting that God will work out the details for this trip, including the finances. We're thankful for every plate of BBQ, every trinket and every ticket we sold yesterday. Every good and perfect gift comes from God and today my goal is to share that truth with my kids in a convincing way. Who knows? Maybe we'll all stop complaining.

Until tomorrow (I promise) -

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment