Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 28 - Perseverence?

Have you ever taken a family vacation, the kind involving young children and a long drive? We have taken many of these trips. In fact, in 2004 David earned a one month sabbatical from his job and we decided to buy a camper and go west to explore and visit friends (look how cute little Ben and pre-pubescent Kaleb are in this picture)! I have to brag just a little bit on my kids because I'm sure they are the best travelers under age 18 in the whole USA - that is, until the last hour.

No matter what size trip we have taken, no matter how much fun we've had, no matter how perfect the trip has been, we always seem to have a nervous breakdown during the last hour of our drive home. It's a phenomenon that doesn't restrict itself to the kids either; there's a lot of whining going on, which means irritated grown-ups, the pee breaks increase (followed by a plea to hold it until we get home), the driver's back is aching, I enter some sort of catatonic state while trying to hold it all together and to top it all off, everybody's butt hurts. It's quite miserable, really.

That's what our home is like right now, here on day 28 of our Eating for Africa. What started off as a fun experiment full of food challenges and laughter has turned into a whiny, are-we-there-yet, pain in the butt!

Something we've been working as a family is to memorize the book of James. James is a book full of advice for Christian living. We're not gotten very far and in fact, we've spent this whole month in the same place:

"Consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything."

Pure joy during trials? I confess that I'm not there yet. Okay, I confess that I'm far from there. Perseverance at this point in the game feels a lot like gritting my teeth. I've wondered if my discontent is a sign that we have acted outside God's will in our food experiment or if I'm even equipped to go share the gospel in the first place. Discontent turns me into a whiny kid in the back seat rather than the driver behind the wheel. Suppose now would be a good time for a rousing chorus of "Jesus take the wheel." Please, please Lord, take the wheel.


I've tried to avoid self-indulgent blog-rants here in the end because after-all, we chose this path. My memory might be getting fuzzy, but I'm almost certain it was my idea to begin with, so why complain? It's been a good trip. I guess we're just ready to get out of the car.

- Julie

P.S. This last picture is of our van in Uganda. We use a small fleet of these vans to move the team around during our trips.





1 comment:

  1. Are we there yet?!? ALMOST there, sweet Jacobsen family, ALMOST there!!! Hang in there! Julie, I've SO enjoyed reading your blog. I have always loved your eloquence in speech and writing, and I love your analogies and all of the wonderful things God reveals to you. I feel like we're back in touch, even though we still haven't seen each other in what seems like forever! You ARE walking God's path; it's just Satan trying to rob you of the "pure joy" that God intends, including the joy we must consider throughout our trials. We must fight that serpent with Scripture, so any time you begin to doubt your ability to share the gospel, remember that is what Satan wants you to believe. Then recall the quote to preach the gospel always, and when necessary, use words. Preach it, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete