Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ambassadors



"And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.  We are therefore Christ's ambassadors as though God were making his appeal through us." - 2 Corinthians 5:20

I love this verse, but it is wrought with significance.  To imagine that God considers all of us his ambassadors to the world - the ones who speak on his behalf.  Wow.  I don't always do such a good job.

Ambassadors represent their home country in foreign lands.  They build relationships hoping to secure allies to their homeland.  Ambassadors are special - they speak with authority released to them by the leader of their country.  Ambassadors build bridges between cultures and governments.

"So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view.  Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer.  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.  All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them." - 2 Corinthians 5:16-19

This is what I hope for our team as we go into Kenya next month, I want us to represent our Father God in such a way that His presence goes out before us on those trails.  I hope we can look at people through Jesus' eyes, not our own.  It is all about Christ and what he has done, none of this is about us.  We're just the ones blessed with an opportunity to speak on his behalf.

As I prepare for what is ahead, I wonder what opportunities are going to come my way, I wonder about the people I will meet and how I will relate to them.  Most of all I want to be appreciative of everything and look for ways to serve the people.

Because we're not suppose to be ambassadors with fancy words or big speeches, we are to be ambassadors who serve.  The Bible says that people will "know we are Christians by our love" and it also tells us that "God [himself] is love".  The same passage in 2 Corinthians even says that we are "compelled by love" to be his ambassadors.

I was reminded this Sunday of how Jesus, after he had finished his last meal with his disciples, got up from the table, girded himself, knelt down and then washed his disciple's feet [John 13].  The point was made that Jesus knew exactly what he was doing - this act was the start of the "hand-off" - Jesus handing over the message of the gospel into the hands of those who had lived with him, learned from him and had loved him during his season of ministry here on earth.

If this was the "hand-off" then his first piece of advice in how to share the gospel was to be a servant.

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you...Now that you know these things you will be blessed if you do them." - John 13:15, 17

You know what?  Jesus doesn't want me to be a servant only when I'm off on a mission trip in a foreign land.  He is calling me to be a joyful servant right here at home amongst the people I know best - my family.  Ouch.  I've got some adjustments to make, but you know what?  God is good all the time; All the time, God is good and he says right here that he wants to bless me.

That blessing is for us all.  Dear Lord Jesus, help us to love well and to serve joyfully all those who come into our reach of influence.  Let them see you through our lives - through our actions.  Open our eyes to see people the way you see them and soften our hearts to love the way you love.  Holy Spirit, fill us with joy and give us the strength to face our frustrations with grace and patience.  I love you Lord - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment