Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stories from Brenda

[I asked some of the team members if they would contribute stories to the blog in order to give readers a bigger picture of the trip beyond my own perspective.  Today's guest blogger is our team leader's wife, Brenda.  Brenda and I made our first trip to Africa in 2007 and it was on that trip that I fell in love with her as my friend.  This year's Akala trip was her 4th.  I hope you all enjoy what she has to share! - Julie]

Brenda and Tom at Lake Nakuru.  The pink over
to the left is a large flock of flamingos
What a beautiful morning it had been. My translator Pastor Jackson and myself had been walking through the village of Akala, Kenya. Most of our walk that morning had been through gardens with an incredible view of the valley just beyond. It had been a fruitful morning and we had the opportunity to share with many people in the village.

We had just finished visiting with 6 women, 4 of whom were already born again believers. The two young woman that were not, listened to us share the love of Jesus Christ and his plan of salvation. Both of the women listened to us present the gospel and both surrendered their lives to Christ that day. Pastor Jackson asked one of the young women if she might introduce us to her neighbors. The first woman that we came in contact with was already a believer and she suggested that we go to another home in the area. Our guide took us to the recommended house and we were invited to come in by the lady of the home.

As we came into her mud hut she went into the room next to the main living area and woke up her husband. They both came into the living room and their son came in as well. The husband looked somewhat irritated that we were there but allowed us to share the gospel. When sharing the gospel we present it as the Bible containing both good news and bad news. The good news is about God but the bad news is about the rest of us. I started with the bad news. As long as I was sharing the bad news the man allowed me to continue, but as soon as I started talking about Christ and how he demonstrated his love for us, the man became increasingly irritated and started to raise his voice at Pastor Jackson and myself.  He told us we were wasting our time.

As the man continued to scream at us, I heard in my head, "Sing". I thought, "What?" and once again I heard, "Sing".  At this time all I could think of was the hymn Holy, Holy, Holy and so I began to sing!  The man looked completely startled and started to calm down somewhat.  He then walked out of the room and we were then able to continue sharing the gospel.  The woman was already a believer but the son surrendered his life that day.  When we left all Pastor Jackson said was, "Amazing Grace, Amazing Grace."

[How weird and wonderful is that story?! - Julie] 

My last day on the trails and also the last group of men that I came in contact with was a group of 4 men.  They were sitting outside of a business on a bench visiting with one another.  They had been listening somewhat as I presented the gospel to some other men near by.  The 4 men listened cordially enough but when I asked them if there was anything that would keep them from receiving Christ's free gift they each hesitated and then told me no, they did not want to accept Christ. 

Normally I would just thank someone for their time and go on my way, but not this time.  I was so sad to see how each of these men decided they didn't want to accept Christ because their friends were sitting there with them, so I decided to tell each of them what they had chosen this day.  I told them that what they had chosen was death, to be eternally separated for God and that some day each of them would have to stand before God and tell him why they had chosen not to follow him and that their friends would not be there with them.  I also told them that the next time God knocked on the door of their hearts, I prayed that they would allow him to come in.  At this point Pastor Jackson looked at the 4 men and said, "OK, they are ready to accept."  My prayer is that these men truly accepted Christ that day.

We all will have to give an accounting someday and I pray that each person who reads this blog stops and asks themselves if they have truly surrendered their hearts to Jesus Christ.  Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  Just as faith without action is dead, so Eph 2:8-9 tells us,  "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.  Not by works, so that no one can boast." Please don't depend on your good works, your religion, baptism, or how much money you give. It is only through Jesus Christ in which we can be saved.

[Thank you for sharing with us, Brenda and for speaking from your heart.  Readers, don't take our word for it, take HIS Word for it, the Bible.  We're told in the Word that when we seek God with all our hearts, we will find him - Jeremiah 29:13.  This scripture was proven true in my own life so I believe it with all my heart for you.  Be blessed today! - Julie]

No comments:

Post a Comment