Our Mission Adventure

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." - Revelation 7:9

Monday, August 16, 2010

Jacobsen Night at the Crusade - Part Two

[Now, you know that the title of this post is meant tongue and cheek, right?  The crusade certainly was NOT our show, it just happened to contain a double dose of the Jacobsen family on this particular night.]

One of the greatest things about the trips we've taken as missionaries in Africa is that you are challenged to do things that are out of your comfort zone.  For some it is the anxiousness prior to hitting the trails, for others it is preaching and still sometimes, it's just getting on the bus to leave the hotel.  Thus was the case for our youngest team member, Emily, when she faced a day of sickness. 

Let me first say that Emily did a fantastic job this whole trip.  I never heard her complain and her attitude was always cheerful even when she felt sick.  Had her roommate not ratted her out to the old folks, we never would have known she felt bad at all because she just didn't complain.  She certainly had the option of staying at the hotel that day to rest, but she instead opted to get in the van and take her sickness on the road.  Brave girl!  Fortunately, she was able to rest at the church instead of walking the trails and she felt much better by the evening although not 100%.  Oh, did I mention that she was sharing her testimony that day?

Still smiling even though she felt bad!
There is very little shade at the livestock yard and the equator sunshine can be quite intense so Emily opted to sit with our backpacks that evening at the crusade instead of dancing with the kids.  Since I'm old and don't dance with kids anyway, I sat nearby.  What I saw in Emily that night has become one of my most precious memories of the trip. 

Two little girls, one of which held a baby on her hip the entire time, were fascinated with Emily's blond hair.  Emily sat patiently as they studied her long, thick braid then started making teeny-tiny braids in the tuft of hair below her rubber-band.  They worked for a very long time with that little bit of hair until a team member convinced Emily to take down her big braid.  As she did, the little girls gasped and quivered over those long blond strands!  I mean literally, their little hands shook with excitement in the air before they could compose themselves to start working - and work they did.  They took to braiding for as long as they could - that being the moment Emily had to walk up on stage.  It was absolutely precious to see these little girls with their live Barbie-doll-head and even though "Barbie" wasn't feeling well enough to dance and play, her willingness to sit patiently with a smile on her face blessed these children more than she will ever know.  The joy on their faces rivaled the most indulgent of Christmas celebrations and it didn't cost Emily a thing!  Let that be a lesson to us all. 

The crusade went well that evening.  Emily had me in tears with her story of self-doubt and faith restored.  She also honored her family, particularly her older brother, in such an awesome way that it warmed the hearts of all who listened that night.  Stephanie was next to share her story of single-motherhood and how God redeemed her life.  I was the last testimony of the evening.

Honestly, all I remember is that I apparently talked too long...not surprising!  I've also been told that I was pretty fired-up...also to be expected when I'm handed a microphone.  I can't remember my words exactly, but there is a song by Casting Crown's that sums up the whole experience for me when it says:

If I could rise up high and catch the glimpse of every eye,
I would make them believe what I feel inside!

That is exactly what it feels like to me to speak at an African crusade.  You're there, raised up high on a platform, handed a microphone and then given the freedom to implore people to believe what you know to be true: Jesus Christ changes lives!  I know that it isn't my job, nor is it within my power to make people believe and follow Jesus - my job is to just share what he's done for me and let God take care of the rest - but OH HOW BADLY I WISH I HAD THE WORDS TO DESCRIBE WHAT IS IN MY HEART WHEN IT COMES TO GOD'S IMPORTANCE IN MY LIFE!  Surely, if I could adequately explain my life experience to people, let them feel what it was like to walk in my shoes then to experience what God did for me in my most devastated place in life, surely they would want to know my Jesus for themselves. 

Ha!  If I'm getting long-winded talking about the crusade experience, you can just imagine how long-winded I was that night.

Next up on stage was my awesome husband, Pastor Dave.  For those who have never met us I should explain that in many ways my husband and I are alike and in one specific area we are polar opposite.  I am definitely the emotional one in this relationship and he is the logical "rock" that I cling to.  No, seriously, we even had our compatibility grafted as part of our pre-married counseling and our graft lines went up and down side by side except for this one area.  Suddenly the graft split apart with my crest of emotion pointing one direction and his crest of logic pointing as far in the other direction as the paper would allow! 

While I am thrilled with the whole "hand me a microphone" experience, Dave is much more reserved.  As he explains it, it's not the public speaking that bothers him, but the preparation for what he is going to say that makes him uncomfortable.  He'll have to explain his experience to you himself, but from where I was sitting Dave did an incredible job preaching that night.  He spoke with such composure - even his body language was strong and didn't hint at all to the insecurity inside.  What I was most impressed with was his altar call.

At first, nobody came forward which would have completely unnerved me, but Dave stood there perfectly composed, waiting quietly while he studied the crowd.  I'm sure I would have started waving my arms and raising my voice - anything to illicit a response - but Dave waited calmly and reiterated himself peacefully.  Still, no one came forward, but as I glanced to my right, there was a young woman weeping to herself.  One of the African pastors came forward to speak while Dave continued studying the crowd.  I saw my friend Brenda cross the yard and sit with the young woman who was weeping.  The next thing I knew, that young woman came forward to receive Christ while Brenda held her close in her arms.  They stood there in front of the stage, alone, for the longest time while the woman cried and prayed and worshipped the Lord.  Then another person came forward, then another, and another.  The first woman fell to her knees and continued her worship while still another person came forward to accept Christ.  It was a beautiful scene to behold.

Thanks to the Jacobsen family (okay, probably because of the emotional long-winded member of this family) our drive back to the hotel took place in the dark.  Couple darkness with those crazy strips of road and you have yourself one wild ride!  It was an exciting end to another wonderful day in Kenya.

Until next time -

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment